Under the direction of Nurse Manager and Unit Charge RN. is
responsible for the care and safety of assigned children. As a
member of the multidisciplinary treatment team assumes primary
Behavioral Health Specialist role. Responsible for input into the
formulation of a therapeutic milieu treatment plan and the
implementation observation and documentation of this program under
the direction of a registered nurse. Provides services to
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participates in maintaining a safe and therapeutic environment.
Other education and experience considered and may
be substituted for educational requirements at the discretion of
- Participates in the development and operationalization of the
milieu care plan for assigned patients according to established
department and unit-based procedure/policy.
- Maintains and documents level of patient observation as ordered
by the physician/charge RN each shift.
- Supervises assigned children in daily routines and assists with
activities of daily living.
- Identifies reports and actively resolves potential/actual
problems on the unit.
- Demonstrates appropriate critical incident follow-up skills by
timely verbal reporting to charge RN and documentation in medical
record. Completes other documentation (ie: incident reports
seclusion and restraint forms (MR38)) as applicable.
- Intervenes in disruptive milieu or destructive to self/other
patient situations providing timely therapeutic
Adheres to Hospital Departmental and Program policies and
- Attends peer review and staff meetings as assigned.
- Maintains current certification in crisis management.
- Maintains current CPR certification.
- Maintains current OSHA ERS Safety Certifications
- Attends unit/hospital staff development as assigned.
- Consistently follows all hospital and departmental policies and
- Consistently follows all program based policies and
Actively participates in the patient care planning process under
the direction of the primary/charge RN.
- Participates in the initial admission interview process as
- Works to support initial therapeutic alliance with patient and
family on admission. Assists with the separation process and
performs other duties necessary to provide a smooth transition to
the hospital environment.
- Completes initial milieu assessment within an 8 hour period.
Collaborates with RN to develop initial problem list and milieu
care plan within 8 hours of admission.
- Reviews milieu care plan and problem list on a daily basis
revising as necessary.
- Communicates individual patient milieu treatment plans in an
ongoing manner to other unit staff including liaison with other
multidisciplinary treatment providers.
- Actively participates in diagnostic conferences treatment team
rounds and shift report as assigned.
- Is aware of department QI indicators and responsibilities
related to such.
- Accurately documents significant patient/family
observations/milieu treatment on the Kardex and medical records in
a timely fashion.
- Collects data for applied research purposes.
- Offers information and knowledge acquired through experience to
other staff via formal/ informal staff development forums.
- Is able to adapt care style to meet needs of various
Supports and contributes to the development of residential care
- Assists and teaches patients in activities of daily living and
personal hygiene based upon patients abilities.
- Leads community meeting/milieu meeting/social skill group.
- Leads other program specific groups.
- Demonstrates ability to set consistent and supportive
therapeutic limits within guidelines of hospital unit and
- Institutes behavioral programs specific to the needs of the
patient in collaboration with the primary nurse and off-line
- Organizes unit activities.
- Coordinates supervises and participates in childrens activities
such as physical & social development activities. Arranges for
transportation or materials if required.
- Provides continuity of care in the classroom by carrying out
the prescribed treatment programs; aides in implementing IEPs
- Participates in teaching visits/family and parent
- Consistently models to patient/families appropriate and
therapeutic interpersonal staff/patient interactions.
- Co-leads therapy groups with a clinician.
- Supports and participates in recreation therapy programs.
- Handles crisis situations in a safe effective manner utilizing
the least restrictive safe patient care alternative.
- Takes the initiative to seek formal/informal supervision
incorporating suggestions for improvement/changes in job
- Performs other related duties as required assigned or directed
by program managers.
Baccalaureate Degree in a Human Service field.
Demonstrated knowledge and skills necessary to provide care to
patients throughout the life span with consideration of aging
processes human development stages and cultural patterns in each
step of the care process.
Six months to one year of direct child care work with
emotionally impaired youth.
Current Bradley Hospital Crisis Management certification or
enrollment in Bradley Hospital course.
Current CPR certification.
Current ERS OSHA and Safety Certification.
Lifespan is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race color religion sex national origin age
ethnicity sexual orientation ancestry genetics gender identity or
expression disability protected veteran or marital status. Lifespan
is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Location: Bradley Hospital USA:RI:East Providence
Work Type: Full Time
Shift: Shift 1