Youth Support Specialist
Company: Foster Forward
Location: East Providence
Posted on: August 29, 2019
Youth Support Specialist for youth in foster care. BA degree or
related experience required. for details. Cover letter/resume by
9/2 to EOE The Youth Support Specialist will work with youth ages
18-21 who are part of the Voluntary Extension of Care with DCYF to
assist DCYF in meeting youth's transition plan goals by providing
resources and opportunities to increase permanency and
self-sufficiency as the young people transition into adulthood. The
role of the Youth Support Specialist is to provide focused,
individualized, youth-driven services and supports that help youth:
locate safe and affordable housing; identify employment and/or
enroll in an educational program; address healthcare needs, mental
health and substance abuse issues; manage interpersonal
relationships; learn daily living skills; access community-based
supports. The Youth Support Specialist will provide these supports
in a developmentally appropriate way, helping youth to build
protective and promotive factors, while simultaneously reducing
risk factors. The Youth Support Specialist will help youth build on
their own strengths, encourage youth to make informed decisions,
and help them navigate various complex social systems. Essential
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Meet with youth and their self-identified team when newly
assigned to help youth develop timelines for transition plan goal
- Collaborate with DCYF YDS workers, clinicians, family,
caregivers, and other providers as appropriate to help support
youth in attainment of goals.
- Work with youth to identify current and past connections that
help the youth know where they can build on or re-engage with
existing connections. Work with that youth to successfully reengage
as appropriate, building social capital across four communities -
family, school, neighborhood, and peers.
- Assist youth with finding and maintaining safe housing.
- Empower youth to engage and complete educational programs as
- Coach youth in establishing and sustaining employment
experiences that help build self-sufficiency skills.
- Work with youth to enroll them in the ASPIRE financial
capability program, serving as the financial coach for youth to
open an IDA, set savings goals, and save and match for durable
- Produce written court reports and attend all family court
- Attend DCYF VEC 6 month case reviews
- Maintain regular contact and meeting schedule with youth in a
manner that is flexible, community-based as much as possible, and
that supports the youths' achievements of goals.
- Provide services on a 24/7/365 basis either in person or via
- Work as part of a team to offer other educational and/or health
or behavioral health services for youth as needs are
- Maintain all casefiles - electronic and paper - as required -
inclusive of Foster Forward and DCYF's data systems.
- Participate in staff trainings, agency events, and promotional
opportunities as required.
- Other duties as required. Required: Bachelor's Degree in social
services/education or related experience; proven experience
relating to adolescents and adults from a variety of backgrounds;
ability to navigate complex systems; experience working one-on-one
with clients helping to set and achieve goals; ability to set and
maintain boundaries; attention to detail; organized and able to
accurately plan work and tasks; adaptable; pass a criminal
background check; flexible schedule and reliable transportation,
travel around state is required to meet with clients in the
community. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer
and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national
origin, religion, gender, age, veteran status, political
affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status or disability (in
compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act) with respect
to employment opportunities.
Keywords: Foster Forward, East Providence , Youth Support Specialist, Other , East Providence, Rhode Island
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!